Thursday, September 10, 2009

Good Morning, America...Or is it?

I don't really talk politics. I think it but I don't speak it. Sometimes I don't even think it.

I always watch Good Morning America. Sometimes the human interest crap is too painful & I pause the tv, go about my business then return to fast forward to the helpful tips they offer. Cute idea last week to put marshmallows in the bottom of a sugar cone to keep it from leaking & then you're left with a yummy surprise at the end.

Anyway, this morning I did not watch it at all. I saw enough hubbub this morning about the President's speech last night on our own local news. I only watched a little, but I can't recall Democrats ever heckling George Bush. I say this because it's nothing I can recall. I'm certainly not saying it didn't happen. I'm just saying it wasn't played over & over & over again by the media with demands for apologies. I'm not saying an apology isn't necessary, because it was pretty rude, but the way it's portrayed by the media is really focusing a lot of attention on the action.

I feel a little guilty about my lack of interest in the current political environment. I know there's a problem with health care, but I don't have it. None of my friends seem to have it. Some of my in-laws have it but they're the variety that don't work full-time & had babies when they were really young with different men that don't work at all. Or adults that don't hold steady jobs because of substance abuse difficulties.

I have total respect & understanding for people & families out there busting their asses & are falling through the cracks of making too much to qualify for public & not enough to afford private. I just don't know if I have those people in my world. Or if I do they're too proud & independent to let me know. My personal experience is with people that are either part-time or unemployed.

I know that right after we got married my husband got laid off & we had to purchase private insurance & it was hard then. I'm sure it's even harder & more expensive now.

I feel like a pretty well-informed, involved citizen & I'm concerned with my political apathy the last year or so. I just feel so removed. The financial numbers of everything are so huge that I really can't get my mind around the funding. Or where all the money goes.

I can't say it's a Democratic thing or a Republican thing...I'm just not interested right now. And I feel bad. But not bad enough to get involved. I think the Wally Herger thing last month was my last straw. And all the idiots that send letters into the Record Searchlight with their opinions.

I like my opinions, & your opinions, much better. We just don't make the effort to write to the paper. We type here. I wouldn't want my name to be published in the RS with any sort of opinion because judging from some of the letters I read, I would be frightened of offending either radical side.

Anyway, that's my post for today. It was rambling but I realized this afternoon that I did miss my Good Morning America. I'll watch it next week. They'll have moved on to some new drama & maybe it will be one I'll be interested in.

Have a great day...

I am full of empathy. But I am also full of apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment