Monday, August 31, 2009

What the Mother-In-Law?!

The things my Mother-in-Law says to me sometimes are so passive aggressive it's astonishing.

We had a lovely few hours together this afternoon. Even though I told her that we would be picking up the kid from pre-school at 2:30pm so she could get her around 2pm & she showed up at 1:20pm, no big deal. I'm used to the early habit. The house was picked up, I was made up, no problems.

We chatted while she read the paper, we went & got the kid. Perfect.

My hubby came home. We went for a museum outing with the four of us. Lovely.

Then on the drive home when we pulled into the neighborhood, two blocks from our house, she suggested that we borrow their pressure washer for the outside our house. I asked why & she laughed & said because the front door is so dirty.

Then when we walked into the house through the garage she stopped by a row of boxes by the side of my car & commented on all the stuff I had. That perhaps I should have a yard sale. She had been in that garage four times already today & not mentioned a word.

Now I wish I was the bigger person here & could say I just let it roll, but I didn't. I returned the banter. I said that I would never go to her house into her garage & comment on the clutter there so why does she feel the need to do it to me when she knows my pack rat habits are a sore spot with the hubby. Of course I said it sweetly, smiling & even laughing, but my eyes were narrowed.

I went into the office & worked for a half hour & left her alone with her son & her grandson. Then I came out & walked her out the front door. Oh my, I said, the front door is dirty, thanks for pointing that out. The outside of the house is your son's responsibility so I'm sure he'll take care of it now.

I really try to be a sweet daughter-in-law, but do not fuck with me. I am a Scorpio. Funny thing is, however, so is she.

Tell me your Mother-In-Law stories cuz you know I'm gonna keep sharing mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment