Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mother In-Law Etiquette...

When your Mother-In-Law is criticizing your husband's sibling & you totally agree & think she's not even close to being tough enough, exactly how much are you allowed to say?

At what point do you offend her for bagging on her child? Even if you're totally right & you do manage to hold back from saying how bad it really is.

My husband would tell me just to keep my mouth shut & my instincts tell me to totally go off. I managed to fall somewhere between & got my point across but didn't say anything I regret now.

And I was even able to throw in an extra jab that I'd been wanting to say about a 25 year old grandchild behaving in the same irresponsible way.

I'm so going to hell but at least I'll have a clear conscience.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think when it comes to mother in law, and talking about her kid / your bro or sis in law, you have to pick your battles. In the right circumstance you can say what you want in a really articulate and charming way (throw in a smile) so it seems much less harsh than it really is. Kinda like a backhanded compliment :) I learned this living in the South, say what you want with a smile and they don't realize what just happened!

    ReplyDelete