Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gag Me With a Spoon...

Ok, so I've been sick. So sick. The hubby is gonna stop taking me out of town for the wild weekends if I keep getting ill after them.

I actually thought I might be coming down with a cold last Thursday & I chose to ignore it. I had planned on donating blood that day but decided against it. I'm so glad I did because about half the time I get sick after I donate blood & if I had gotten this sick I think I would have quit donating in the fall & winter forever! Now I know it was just me.

Anyway, I started feeling bad on Sunday night, then by Monday I really started feeling bad. Sore throat, stuffy nose, so much sneezing it was ridiculous. I always think spicy food helps so I called in an order of Green Curry Chicken & Spicy Tom Yum soup to my favorite Thai restaurant.

They told me it would be ready in 15 minutes so I showed up in 20. The soup was not ready so I stood to the side & quietly observed the kitchen while waiting. I was already sick & crabby & slightly annoyed that I still had to wait for my soup but whatever, I knew their food was delicious & would make my nose run & clear my head.

I watched the cook pull my soup off the burner, toss in the ingredients & take a taste. Then he poured more coconut milk into the spoon he just took a taste from & stirred it into the pot & placed it back onto the burner.

I'm not naive. I worked in a hotel where I sat in the employee kitchen area & watched the guys cook. Gross shit happens. But I do not want to see it.

I turned to the waiter/owner & quietly hissed at him that if that was my soup I did not want it & whispered to him why. I could have made much more of a scene but I did not. There were all kinds of customers eating in my vicinity. He said he was so sorry, the guy was new & they would make me a new one. That was gonna add about 10 more minutes to my wait & I was over it.

I asked for a refund for the soup, which apparently was a problem & he said he would give me a discount the next time I came in. Uh-huh, I said, just refund the soup. I didn't say it to him & I'm still not convinced myself, but I'm not sure if I'm going back. Their Green Curry is so frigging good & I know the ladies work on that so I probably will, though.

Anyway, that's my story. I haven't told anyone this because I love this little restaurant & I don't want to give them a bad reputation but damn...do not reuse spoons ~ especially when you have an open kitchen.

Have a great day & feel well!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I see this all the time. I even saw it on Iron Chef the other day. Except it was a reused finger!! ON TV! So gross. I would probably do the same. Not want the soup, but eventually go back.

    Hope you are feeling better!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, I worked in restaurants a couple years, saw Everything happen including a cook feeling a waitresse up the ass and such while preparing food with the same hands!
    (it did feel pretty good though, ha ha)

    Nice to have you back!

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete