Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Am I Old Yet?

Exactly when do the early thirties become the mid thirties become the late thirties?

I realize that at 36 I am in the mid & that in about three minutes I'm gonna be 37 & hope that's still the mid. I think 38 & 39 are the late thirties but I also think that 31-34 are the early.

Perhaps my calculations seem a bit off but I have never been the best at math & I don't want to smart it up now!

I am pondering this issue because I was watching Juno a few nights ago & found myself identifying with Juno more than anyone else. I am certainly more in the time frame of Jennifer Garner's character & closer in age & parenting experience to Juno's stepmom but I think of myself as a kid.

It's funny. I'm not immature. I'm quite mature. I run a household, am a semi-successful parent & wife & a decent employee.

I still feel like a kid. I can watch American Pie, 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, any classic high school movie & identify with the teenagers.

Am I strange? Am I the only one?

I will never understand Brenda's role as Samantha's Mom in 16 Candles. She had kids not much older than mine & kids much, much older than mine but I can't identify. I think she was older than 36 in that movie but she could have been younger. Who knows? I still feel eternally younger.

Maybe I don't want to grow up. Or maybe I just don't want to feel old.

So I won't.

5 comments:

  1. No, I am still emotionally about 15. I still love unsophisticated humor. You're definitely not the only one. It just gets harder to find friends who are willing to be silly with. When you do, you just know right away. Know what I mean fart breath? :)

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice nickname for your friend, ha ha.

    Think young, stay young. It works. I know old people who are young too, as well has some run-down, tired-out young people.

    You're just the right age at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the next day and you're Still Not Old.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you on this one, I can watch any old movie and enjoy it just as mich as I do with the new teen angst movies that are out there. Brenda would be roughly between the ages of 38 and 42, ahe had a daughter just out if high school (Ginny), Samantha, then she had the two younger ones,Mike and Sarah who were around the 4th and 7th grades. But like you, as I get older, I do not see myself like them and I can't see myself in their shoes. Ironically I do have teenages, but somehow as I look at how long time has gone by, I still find myself looking at the younger generations. I find myself listening to the newer music, but I also have my classics too. On any given day you can sit in my car and have Martha Quinn, Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman, and Nina Blackwood in your ear calling out the hits, just as they were on that new fangled MTV thing that was a fad and a passing fancy (JJ Jackson you are missed). But I do have my collection of Eve6, Kid Rock, Green Day, and a bunch other new ones. So I am also torn, do I go old gracfully, or do I go kicking and screaming into my twilight years with my middle finger in the air and bottle of Jack in the other? Who knows, it may all end tomorrow and I won't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete