Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Am Embarrassed to Admit This...

But, it is shockingly easy to become an internet stalker!

I didn't even mean to do what I did. It just happened. Seriously. I am not usually a stalker per say. But sometimes one thing leads to another & I pursue.

So last week I went to San Francisco for work. No big deal. I go often.

But this time of year in the City reminds me of an ex-boyfriend. Super nice guy. Way, way too nice for me. I chewed him up & spit him out, unfortunately. He deserved a much nicer person than me. Hopefully he found her. It seems like it but I digress.

I have to prelude this whole thing with the simple fact that I broke up with him & he actually kind of stalked me for a little while. Lots of hang up phone calls, drove by my house in Redding from San Francisco, showed up at Shasta College from San Francisco looking for me.

But we ended as friends. He met my then boyfriend now hubby & even attended our wedding. He's a successful attorney in the Bay Area & I spoke to him from time to time even after I was married. We drifted apart. It was fine. I have no feelings of what might have been with this fellow. None. So how this happened is intriguing to me.

Anyway, I looked him up on Facebook the night before I was set to leave for my business trip & my hubby was out of town. It started casual. As I said, October in San Francisco reminds me of him.

He wasn't on Facebook.

So I Googled him. He was listed on all sorts of legal pages ~ even saw a photo but it looked quite old. One of the search results listed his name with a female name, same last name, contributors for a charitable organization to which it seemed he would be involved. And it kind of rang a bell that she had the same name as the girl he was living with the last time we spoke, 7 or 8 years ago.

So I looked her up on Facebook. Hundreds of them.

On the second or third page of the Facebook search results there was this smiling face of this woman that I just knew was her. For no reason. I just knew. Or at least I thought I knew so I had to find out. But all her shit was blocked. Smart girl.

Aha, but she had her business website listed. She did event organizing, wedding planning, stuff like that. So seriously the opposite of me. It had to be her.

So I was going through the website, looking at all the events she had done & her last option was for Holiday Greeting Cards.

And there, in the very last section of her website after what had been an hour long hunt, was a tiny example of her work: Her very own Holiday Card. With her lovely family on it. It was him.

I felt so gross after this whole affair albeit a little vindicated that my instincts were spot on when I saw her.

I had to delete my entire search history for that day & hope my hubby wouldn't notice. He would have been slightly bugged & given me a bad time but if it had been the other way around & he was searching for an old girlfriend I would have fucking flipped out.

It's so funny how things can get away from me.

I am really quite ashamed of this ordeal but pretty pleased that I have such skill. Scary!

Wonder who's stalking me? Or who's stalking you? Or who are you stalking?

Have a wonderful night!

3 comments:

  1. I think most of those searches start out of mere boredom.... we all do it. Curiosity... not out of what would have been so much as the ability to do it. The internet allows us these little pursuits out of curiosity and boredom. You shouldn't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you have hundreds of searches going on for you. We all do, potentially. You'd be surprised how much FREE public information is out there. Having been stalked, scarily stalked I might add, I will take an internet stalker that I will have no knowledge of possibly ever knowing about, over the hands on type any day. Besides...anyone who says they never wonder about people from their past is a liar. Like the previous commenter stated (and spot on I might add) it all starts out of curiosity and boredom...and perhaps a little detour from the everyday that we know we have to return to when the search is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me introduce myself. I'm now stalking you. We have a mutual friend on Facebook, and you commented on something she posted, and I got curious and clicked your profile, which led me to your blog, and I'm delighted to say that I'm finding it entertaining and interesting. I may even google you later.

    ~bye now!

    ReplyDelete